Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mamma Mia!

Mamma Mia is a movie that I anticipated for months. My good friend, Marilee told me about it filming nearly a year ago. When she ran down the list of cast members, she was not so certain about Meryl Streep, but was thrilled about Christine Baranski playing the part of Tanya. Without even seeing a trailer for the film, I agreed whole heartily. Christine Baranski was absolutely born to play that roll.

Last summer Marilee, Josh and I went to see the touring Broadway cast of Mamma Mia. During the ending remix section, we all jumped up and danced like crazy fools. It was incredible. We were at the front of the theater and didn't even care that the whole crowd was watching. In fact, several others jumped up and joined in. The music is so infectious.

When I visited Germany for Christmas, I wanted to see a Broadway play, hoping it would be one I had seen in English so I wouldn't be completely lost. It ended up that Mamma Mia was playing in Essen, about a 20 minute drive from Schmachtendorf. We went having purchased tickets in the middle section (approx. $250 USD for both tickets), but were invited by an usher to move up into the top price seats. Germany has a wonderful rule that once the doors are closed to a play, they are closed and late comers are not admitted. In that case, Josh and I benefited from someone's misjudgment of time or were moved to seats that hadn't been sold. The why didn't really matter as I enjoyed the more expensive seats without feat of someone asking me to move back. Even though the show was in German, I did understand the plot and knew some of the language. Some of the songs were in English because "Money, Money, Money" for example sounds better than "Geld, Geld, Geld." Some of the dialog, especially Donna's rantings blurred together as just screaming, but since we had seen the show in Salt Lake a few months previous, it was a wonderful experience. Yes, we jumped up and danced again at the end. I really enjoy listening to the German soundtrack. It brings back a wonderful memory with Josh in Germany and I'm ever so pleased with myself when I recognize a word here and there.

Having just returned from the movie (2nd viewing), I thought it best to give a comment before getting off to bed. Overall, I thought the movie was wonderful. They switched around a few things, including my favorite song, "Take a Chance on Me" and added a song the followed the wedding near the end. The movie critic on CBS Sunday Morning suggested Pierce Brosnan sounded like a moaning water buffalo when he tried singing. I can see that, but thought he did a fine job. Meryl Streep (one of my favorite actresses. Adaptation with Chris Cooper was very good and she was robbed of the Oscar for Ironweed. Eww, that Cher--who also did a fabulous job that year in Moonstruck) was a great Donna. At my first viewing, I thought her acting while singing was too melodramatic. During my second viewing, however, I remembered that Donna is like that to an extent. She has dealt with a lot on her own raising Sophie and running a hotel alone. She is surprised by three men from her long-dead past and no one until the end is talking. I appreciated her performance much more the second time around.

A note on Donna's friend Rosie, played by Julie Walters. Rosie was by far my favorite in the cast and not just because she sings, "Take a Chance on Me." She is smart, independent and very witty. The first time I saw Mamma Mia on stage, the actress was heavy and when she sang that song, it hit so close to home. She was asking a man who had just rejected her advances to put snap judgments aside, to look deeper and to take a chance on her. In the end, her persistence pays off. How wonderful. That one song gave me enough hope that I, as a heavy fellow, used it to ask a friend out that I was pretty confident would say yes if I worded it correctly. He said no and despite initial attempts at remaining friends, we haven't spoken to each other in over a year. His loss. Anyway, the weight of the actress really brought the song to life for me and even though it didn't work out once doesn't mean it won't next time. In subsequent stage versions and indeed with Julie Walters in the movie, the actresses have been thin, but have retained their spunk. The actress in Germany was much thinner than Donna and was nearly to the point of Tanya. That casting didn't work for me. But Julie Walters really sells the roll and makes me believe no one else could have possibly done the part. I need to join the Julie Walters fan club. I've thought that ever since she was nominated for an Academy Award for playing Mrs. Wilkinson in Billy Elliot. (Incredible movie. If you haven't seen it, let me know and we can watch together.) She was also Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter films and I can't wait for #7 as she has a kick-ass roll in the final battle.)

The story is silly and weak, but then again, it is pretty good for trying to string together a bunch of independent songs. Not sure which is your father? It's called a paternity test. Maury specializes in them, especially during sweeps. But if you can look past that part, the scenery is stunning and the music a lot of fun. One final note on cast--Dominic Cooper was really good as Sophie's fiance. The gay twists were welcomed and the final moments of the wedding when most of the guys strip off their Aphrodite well-water soaked shirts off and dance about hugging was very much welcome. I loved Mamma Mia and hope you'll go see it. I'd love to see it again, so if you'd like to go together, let me know.

For your convenience, I'll include a copy of the movie trailer.

2 comments:

Joshua said...

It came out here - but I am waiting for it to hit DVD first to see it... I've started to hate watching movies in German....... Ug!

I do walk by the theater all the time though and chuckle to myself when I think about waiting for you after the show.... .... .... .... and the cherry wine =)

Steven Elmer said...

Thanks, Josh, for reading my blog. Mamma Mia in Germany was one of many highlights of the trip. Wine? I thought it was fruit punch. As for what happened afterwards while you waited, another highlight before the dismal way that day ended. The calm of sweet ecstasy before the storm. That was just a reminder of how real and honest and valuable our friendship is.

Watching movies in the theater here has also nearly become unbearable. People think they can text in a movie because it is quiet, not realizing how distracting a 2x3 inch glowing screen can be. People (including my mother and Rebecca) talk through the whole show trying to figure out what just happened or what will happen next.

Others who choose to sit in the middle of the row are constantly climbing in front of me as they come and go at will. "Hello, McFly" if you have a small bladder, don't get the super-jumbo soda just because it is the best value. Or sit on the aisle. How hard is that?

I went to an 8:45 PM showing of Batman recently, thinking the "children" would be afraid of the higher prices. Nope. It was literally a volleyball match of insults and threats from one section to another. One theater here has started a 9:40 showing for those over 21 (called the 21 club), designed to remove some of these distractions. I nearly went to that show, but unwisely opted for the earlier show. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. Incidentally, Batman seems to be loved by critic and regular person alike (Marilee). It was good, but will not warrant a review like Mamma Mia! received. And no, not because it is a little creepy to see Heath Ledger in a new roll after he died. He was good and I love Christian Bale. If you haven't seen it, I strongly suggest his first, Empire of the Sun (a Steven Spielberg film).