Thursday, July 24, 2008

99 Balloons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6Njr-qkq0

This is a YouTube video my brother showed me. To be honest, it was hard to watch and you may not want to see it, which is why I have only added the link. My heart goes out to Eliot's parents. I don't know them, but am thankful they offered me this glimpse into their lives. I can feel their pain and can benefit from their faith and positive attitude.

We don't always understand why bad things like this happen, but one thing is clear: the quality of the time spent with loved ones is much more important than the amount.
Even those separated by great distances can call, email, text and send packages. It is apparent that Eliot's parents love him as much or more now than when he was with them. Separation doesn't make love die or loved ones to be forgotten. Love will carry them through the dark days and cold nights until they can see their son again.

Life can be cruel at times and the obstacles we must overcome may seem relentless. Pain is very personal. During periods of grief, soothing words from even the closest of friends and family can do little to amend our sorrow. It is easy to get bogged down wondering why I'm carrying more burdens than my friends and neighbors. Then little things like this video help remind me that everyone has what I call "hurdles to happiness." It would have been easy for this family to curse God and become bitter. How wonderful it was that they instead decided to appreciate and value the time they shared with Eliot. He taught them about love and patience -- lessons we all need to learn and be reminded of from time to time.

0 comments: