Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Drowsy Chaperone



It should not come as a surprise to any of you that I LOVE going to the theater. There was a time I wanted to run a theater, maybe act a bit when the mood struck, but now I enjoy watching from the audience. For most of the past fifteen years, I have had season tickets to the touring Broadway shows, and for the past few years have enjoyed a seat on row A (behind two rows of folding chairs whose great claim to fame is the chance of getting spit upon. My seat is on the aisle with lots of leg room. My favorite line from Cabaret comes at the first of the second act when the emcee waived up to the balcony and said, "Hello poor people." Now every time I go, I make it a point just as intermission is ending to stand, turn around and wave. I LOVE that. I also play a game called, "Spot the Queers," but that is really just my trying to get a date and doesn't really fit in this explanation. Needless to say, I'll be homeless before I give up that season seat.

Recently I went to see The Drowsy Chaperone as it toured through Salt Lake. It is a wonderful show that didn't really get the press or audience support it deserved. If it comes touring through your town, you simply must go see it. It takes a spectator's view of what we love about theater and reminds us not to take life too seriously. I won't ruin it for you, but the line about the poodles is absolutely classic. I absolutely loved this show, especially when the "man in chair" told us to ignore the words to the lament song, but to enjoy the music. The silly words go, "Monkey, Monkey, Monkey" but still.

When I heard the soundtrack for the first time, I recognized the distinctive voice of Georgia Engel. Many of you know her from The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Everybody Loves Raymond. Absolute perfect casting. On the picture, she is the one on the far right.

When the show was announced to visit Salt Lake, I hoped the touring replacement for Ms. Engel wouldn't suck too bad. Mrs. Tottendale is a minor character, but no one could have played that part better. Replace the entire cast if you must, but keep Georgia Engel. The whole play could have been ruined if someone else had wandered out to ask why she was in her fancy dress. Good news!!! Much of the cast, including Georgia Engel, was straight from the now-closed Broadway show. That is another reason you should seek this play out as it tours and go. You won't regret it.

0 comments: