Sunday, November 2, 2008

Steve Young is just awesome!!!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=32216

This is the link for the San Francisco Chronicle article (below). There were many comments below the article, both for and against Steve's actions. If interested, check out the link. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether or not you are for or against promoting discrimination, for or against separation of church and state, and simply doing the right thing. There is a lot of fear out there, but most of it is just biased rhetoric. I encourage everyone to look at those you know and love. Chances are, there is at least one homosexual. For those who know me, perhaps I am that token representative. There is no proof that gays love any differently than straight people, or would be less effective as parents. Why should we allow anyone to be treated as if their love didn't matter?

Homosexuals yearn for equal treatment. Look at how many homosexual couples have gone to California to get married, knowing full well that bigoted voters may invalidate such actions in November. Tons. I'm so excited for two friends of mine who did, but also saddened that I may never get that chance. Why shouldn't I have a chance at happiness like everyone else? I didn't choose to be gay. Why should I be discriminated against because of something I didn't have a choice in? Please, I urge you to do whatever you can to defeat Prop 8.

Steve Young's wife lines up against Mormon church on Prop. 8

The signs on the front lawn of former 49er quarterback Steve Young's Peninsula home say "No on Prop. 8," which normally wouldn't be much of a story in the Bay Area, a gay-friendly region which is the center of opposition to the effort to ban same-sex marriage in the state.

But Young isn't only a Hall of Fame quarterback. He's also the great-great-great grandson of Brigham Young, the second president of the Mormon church. The church has pushed hard and publicly for Prop. 8 and Mormons have pumped millions into the campaign.

Young also isn't just any church member. During his years in the NFL, he was one of the nation's most visible Mormons. He graduated from BYU, which was named for his ancestor, and received his law degree there. In a 1996 "60 Minute" interview, he said that he still had plans to go on the church mission he missed in college and had no problem tithing 10 percent of his earnings to the church. He retains close ties to Utah, married his wife, Barbara, at a temple in Hawaii and even served as narrator for a short video on the Mormon church and its history, done for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Utah.

Given all that, it's surprising to see Young's family lining up on the opposite side of the church, especially after Mormon leaders in Salt Lake City sent a letter last June that asked all California church members to do all they could to support the Prop. 8 effort by "donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman."

While it's Barb Young's name that appears on the checks, she made it clear in a statement issued today through Equality California that the contributions are a family affair.

"We believe ALL families matter and we do not believe in discrimination, therefore, our family will vote against Prop. 8," she said.

Later, she clarified her remarks with this update: "To expand on my earlier email, I am very passionate about this issue and Steve is completely supportive of me and my work for equality. We both love our Church and are grateful that our Church encourages us to vote our conscience. Steve prefers not to get involved politically on any issue no matter what the cause and therefore makes no endorsement."

1 comments:

Meg&CC said...

I am sorry that you are upset by the transpiring of Sunday night and know that becuase of that you may just delete my comment without trying to see my side of things. While we as a family (especially Rebecca) care very deeply for you and love you very much, we cannot turn our backs on our most basic beliefs. Also, while we understand that there is not a choice in how you feel (i.e. who you are ultimately attracted to) there is a basic choice wither you, or anyone with those feelings, will act on them. We truly beleive in the gospel of Jesus Christ as restored by Joseph Smith. This gospel tells us that God has given a commandment and expects us to live by that commandment. That doesn't mean that it will be easy, in fact, most refining trials are not. Each of us in this life are given the trials that will be hard for us, if life were easy more of us would get A's. I don't see supporting the definition of marriage between a man and a woman as being discrimenation because I don't see it as me telling you that you can never be married, I am saying please do it in the Lords way. Please make the coice to live the commandments, knowing that this is a trial that will pass when your body is made perfect in the resurection. I also don't understand why there is a belief that marriage is to help us be happy. There are many very unhappily married couples and many happily unmarried people. Marriage is not a predicator to happiness. True happiness comes from the service we give to others. This can be in a family, but can also be given in so many other ways. Just because you have been given this trial, it does not mean a misery sentance.
Through this all, though, what really baffels me is why someone who knows me and my family can expect me to do something that could ultimately cost me my temple recomend when I thought you knew that my religion is not just a label but part of my being. We are encouraged to vote our concious, but isn't that really just a litmus test as to where your heart really sits on issues? Supporting groups that go against church beliefs is not looked on lightly, and you know that. I truly hope that we can once again come together as the close knit family that our heart ties tell us we are. I know that Rebecca would feel a huge loss if you were to cut us out of your life. That said, I know that you are hurt at the realization that your family has chosen to stick with the beliefs of a religion that you no longer want to associate with and I understand if you would rather us leave you alone. Good luck in your future, Meg