Sunday, November 9, 2008

A missed opportunity...

Last Friday night, a large public rally marched through the streets of Salt Lake City. I've included the KSL news story for those of you (like myself) who may have missed it. Friday was my mom's birthday and while dinner plans didn't work out, when I called to wish her well, she was thrilled that I did not plan to march. That was the best present I could have given her. One of my mom's biggest fears is that my rather opinionated and outspoken personality would naturally gravitate toward the news media covering such events. She fears the neighbors will see, then condemn her for being a bad mother. That issue has been covered in previous posts in this blog (see June posts if you missed it). Every Pride day (now weekend) mom gets a bit anxious about what the neighbors will think. She didn't say, but I suspect my not marching in Friday's protest, and thus not getting interviewed on TV, was the best present she received. Maybe some day she and my other family members will realize that I am the same Steven they knew and loved before I came out and their isn't anything to be ashamed of, especially if the neighbors found out.

This march protested the huge percentage of donations the church (and those directed by Church leaders) made toward passage of California's Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage. Some reports had the donation percentage at 40% of all funds donated on the "Yes for 8" campaign came from the Church. They were also very aggressive in finding and punishing church members who opposed Prop 8, saying members are expected to support their leadership. While I agree with that sentiment, I also believe in a church of over 12 million members, differing opinions will naturally play a part. It would be nearly impossible to keep such a large membership to only one voice, but that is exactly what the Church did. News reports have shown everything from formal censure to removal of temple recommends and even excommunication. That, to me, is quite a heavy hand for voicing an opposing view.

I understand that one of the requirements for tax-exempt status is to remain neutral in political battles. Not sure if that is true, but would be consistent with the many letters read throughout my youth from the sacrament meeting pulpit before major elections. The letters always encouraged participation in the political process, but stated the church did not support, nor endorse and political party or candidate. While their support for Prop 8 was a ballot initiative, not a party or candidate, I understand that also violates the rules for retaining tax-exempt status. At least one complaint has been filed with the IRS against the Church challenging their tax exempt status after such a thorough involvement in this campaign. Although additional research is needed on my part about the specifics of the claim, I joined the cause and signed the petition.

Gays are not asking for special rights, but the same rights as everyone else. Homosexuals are regular people just the same as straight people are. They deserve to have the same rights. Anything less is encouraging discrimination. We did not choose to be gay. Why would we actively choose to be a minority whose basic rights at happiness are robbed at nearly every turn? Straight people frequently suggest we may not have chosen to be gay, but we chose to be out. What an asinine argument. There are many who live that way, but are they happy? Is living a lie fair to anyone who is involved? The homosexual? The spouse? And any children? No. For every one's sanity, we should push them to be the very best person God made them to be. Living in a way contrary to what God created me to be is arrogant on my part. There must be a purpose in difference, or we would all be the same. I believe it is to help us all learn tolerance and respect. Not marching Friday night fulfilled a birthday promise to my mom (I ended up having to work through the entire event). But watching the news story makes me a little bit sad that my voice wasn't there supporting the cause I believe so strongly in. By not marching, my silence enforced complacency and said what the Church did to get Prop 8 to pass was OK, and it wasn't. Living with regrets is not healthy, but if I had it to do over again, I would have marched and hoped my mom would have understood and loved me all the same.

Video Courtesy of KSL.com

1 comments:

Meg&CC said...

The LDS church is not asking anyone with those feelings to lie and hide them from everyone, including a spouse. If you are able to talk about the struggle you are having then you are able to gather support from those around you. In all matters that deal with right and wrong, they are asking their members to understand that there are commandments given and we are asked to follow them. We are then, at that point, given a choice. Any church can ask their members to support initiatives and retain tax-exempt status, and that is why they did. You should know that they have a legal department that reviewed every letter that went out and the speeches that the church leaders gave at the firesides that encouraged support of Prop 8. I feel that it is arrogant of your side of this issue to think that any church member was forced to give to the cause and that most of that money was given without passion behind it, the same passion or more than you feel. So much money came from LDS people because we understand that it is not just a question of discrimination we are talking about. The very essence of the country and our lives is at stake. Look at the histories of great nations and their downfall and take that for what you will. I can see that there is an impasse between us. Not only are you taking a stand against your families beliefs and telling us we are all horrible people and ignorant for what we believe but you are working hard at hurting us financially by trying to take away our tax deduction for tithing. You are also telling people that I personally am fighting against you by taking my friendship away, but you are the one who has stepped away from us. I feel that we have always treated you fairly, kindly and with the utmost respect. We will always be your family and we will always care for you no matter what your choices are Steve, but I hope you understand that no matter how much you blame others, you are making your own choices. I have my family’s salvation to think about. I did not come to my beliefs lightly. There was much thought and prayer put into them and we have come to a time when the lines have been drawn. We have, and always will, feel this way. Let the chips fall as they may. We care about you deeply and, if you so choose to cut us from your life, we will miss you greatly, especially Rebecca. She still includes you in every activity that she plans. But that will be your choice. I hope to see you soon, Meg