Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jonathan Horton

Some of you may have guessed that gymnastics (especially the men) holds a great interest for me. It amazes me how the athletes can twist and contort themselves. You may assume I like watching young men with taught muscular builds bulging through the thinnest and skimpiest of uniforms. Watch out. You know what assuming does. But in this case, you would be right. I can't (and won't) hide the fact that I'm gay and appreciate bulging men with incredible upper body strength. For a similar reason, I watch the men's diving and swimming events. Watching the Olympics, though, is more than just getting a cheap thrill or boosting my patriotic water-cooler jargon. It is about watching the pinnacle of years and years worth of sweat and dedication. These athletes have obviously been committed even when the easy thing to do would have been to simply quit. They persevered. They conquered. Even those who don't medal at the Olympics are winners because they actually made it to the games. I remember watching the figure skaters dance and glide elegantly along the ice and dream of mastering my own physical and emotional self to become a champion. The feelings of excitement were infectious and I was enthusiastic to become an Olympic athlete so I too could feel the awe of walking into the arena representing my country. Well, as I look down at my overgrown abdomen, life didn't turn out that way. Back then I was 31. Now I'm 38 (golly, can you imagine someone so old? I know!!!) and I have realized the Olympics are for others and that's ok. I was part of the moment in 2002 as a volunteer. They say those who can't do, teach. Well, I say those who can't do should volunteer. The Olympics are next headed to Vancouver, BC in 2010 and London in 2012. Will you be there? I'd love to. Come on. Let's go together.

Now, back to point. Tonight was the reply of the men's high bar gymnastics final. China won the gold (surprise), Jonathan Horton of the United States (Houston, TX) won the silver and the bronze medal went to Fabian Hambuechen of Germany. Fabian is the cute German who tried desperately not to cry mentioned in my first Olympic post of a few days ago. That night he had lost on the high bar, an event he was favored in. I'm so glad he ended up with a medal in that discipline. Following Jonathan's incredible performance, Fabian greeted him with congratulations. Some goofs have commented online that this picture looks like they are going to kiss or is too gay. To those of you who think this, oh grow up. There is nothing wrong with two men embracing. If you don't like my picture, get your own.

This blog features pictures of Jonathan Horton his silver medal winning performance). He also helped win the bronze medal in the team gymnastics and is just awesome. This could have easily been about Shawn Johnson and her gold medal won just prior to Jonathan's silver or about any number of women athletes. Much of why I watch the Olympics is gender neutral, though I'll admit a big bulge is nice to watch. What? Doesn't everyone's eye first go to a man's crotch, then his face? Ok, so(and will hopefully soon sport a youtube video of, sometimes I take a detour (when available) and check out his ass, then up to the face, but I get there eventually. =) Watching the Olympics means different things for each of us. Among other things, it should inspire regular "real" people to become the best they can be. It may not be high bar or diving or even a sport. It may be losing 50 pounds or finally writing something worth publishing. These athletes show us that anything is possible with a lot of hard work and dedication. They amaze me, especially men like Jonathan and Michael Phelps, and make me want to become a better me. Incidentally, I'd like to find the same qualities in a boyfriend. Please apply within if you are interested. =)

0 comments: