Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cheese Balls with Shei

Anyone who knows me with any degree of accuracy is well aware of my LOVE for what I refer to as "Cheese Balls." Technically they are called "Fried Macaroni and Cheese," but that is not near as fun to say as "Cheese Balls." My good friend, Josh, introduced me to these gooey balls of heaven a couple of years ago. For me, it was love at first bite.

Since that time, I haven't been able to get enough and frequently make excuses to go get them at TGI Friday's. Other places have offered something similar on their menu, but most just can't get it right. The horrible aftertaste from (BLANK's) attempt just celebrated 15 month anniversary. I'm not sure they have ever changed the oil. =0

My job involves working with a team in Manila we lovingly refer to as the PHLRO SSG. The past few weeks, their team manager, Shei (short for Sheila) has been visiting our office in Salt Lake. We had a chance to take her out to dinner and guess where I suggested? You know it. They have five TGI Friday's in the Philippines, but I'm not sure if they have a different menu. Now that Shei has tasted the awesome power of the cheese ball, she has offered to check out one of the local Friday's to see if cheese balls are available. Carl, the PHLRO team's representative homosexual, has invited me for a visit. Seeing Carl and the others on the team would be nice, going all that way would turn from great to wonderful if I could have me some cheese balls.


The only exception to my rule about liking cheese balls at some place other than Friday's is at The Cheesecake Factory. They offer a unique take on the classic in that instead of seven balls, they give only four, but they are each quite large. The four baseball sized orbs are encased in a crust of Parmesan cheese and come sitting in a creamy marinara sauce that is simply to die for. If you like your cheese balls with alcohol as I do (see below) and you are at the Factory in Salt Lake, remember to go after noon as they remember where they put the keys to the bar about that time. Dumb ass Utah drinking laws. God, don't get me started. Ok, now I'm started. With the exception of Bud Light Lime, which is delicious, Utah 3.2 beer tastes like horse piss (yes, and don't ask). Real men (the kind I'm attracted to) drink German beer that is easily twice that strength.

This is a picture of me being fat and happy. I have a cheese ball in one hand and a mudslide in the other. Mudslides, for those who do not know, are AWESOME! It is basically a chocolate milkshake (complete with ice cream) with a nice blend of alcohol that I'm pretty sure includes Bailey's Irish Cream Whiskey. Oh My God!!! Having the two is like a little piece of heaven on earth. The only thing that could top the experience is two orders of cheese balls and another round of drinks. Some sort of margarita is being enjoyed by someone in the picture, but I prefer the full dosage of fat the ice cream and deep fried goodness offer. Getting drunk is not required to enjoy cheese balls. Indeed, I have had them both buzzed and with root beer. But, given the chance, a nice frosty mudslide on the side is the way to go.

Anyone want to go for cheese balls? I'm game. Of course, you may need to drive me home (I do not condone drinking and driving), but being the designated driver can have its benefits, especially if you are a cute boy. =) Enjoy.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steven,

Thanks for letting Paul and I tag along with your team and Shei!!! It was alot of fun!! Those damn cheese balls have me saying "they're the big O and I don't mean tires"!!

You're a great friend, and I'm glad that we were all able to enjoy each other's company!!

Lynda